Monday, June 16, 2008

Our Favorite Yoga Teacher…


Peace.

My name is Dray Gardner. I was turned on to Bikram Yoga two years ago due to lower back issues, sciatic nerve issues, and basically dead legs every three months of my life. Wrestling was my first sport, followed by Football, Jui Jitsu and any other activity that basically involved contact. I went to a chiropractor, Dr. Chris Paulbick, who after adjusting me and doing what good he could to my beaten up body from years of contact sports, told me to stretch.

I walked into a Bikram Yoga studio of Las Vegas on Tropicana and Rainbow, in the middle of a 30-day challenge (30 classes in 30 days). Within a week or two, I decided to step it up to the 60-day challenge, which I completed on my first attempt. But after my first 90-minute struggle, it became apparent to me that everything outside of this yoga door became easy. It takes a different person to look at themselves (your one and only true teacher) for 90 minutes to appreciate all that you see.

Taking my first class, of what I thought was simply stretching in a hot box, I soon discovered that yoga took me, my mind and my body to places I have never been before: with balance, discipline, focus, determination, strength, flexibility, meditation and peace of mind. I really became sold on Bikram when I learned that every muscle, tendon, joint, internal organ & body system down to the cellular level gets worked in the 90 minute, open-eyed, moving meditation. I soon gave up many of my other physical activities for Bikram Yoga. My love for Yoga (the union of the mind, body and spirit) became my mistress.

That being said, with the understanding, encouragement, support and sacrifices of my family, I was able to attend teacher training. It became quite apparent to them as well as myself that I needed to share the multiple benefits I received. With all I gained through the struggle, the peace, the advancement, the breath, the union – Bikram Yoga truly became my life’s passion. Now my goal in life is to reach down to bring someone else up, reach out to bring someone else in, and reach back to pull someone else forward. If you want to change the world, change yourself. BE the change that you seek in the world.

I graduated from training in November of 2007. After 99 classes in 9 weeks, I am now here doing what I can for you, the people. I enthusiastically welcome you to Bikram Yoga and I look forward to witnessing your struggle, advancement, strength, and ultimate transformation. The divine spirit in me acknowledges and connects with the divine spirit in you.

Let no one steal your peace.

Namaste.

No comments: