Monday, June 16, 2008

TMI...

On rare occasions, maybe three to four times a week, Holly takes the time to pull me aside and give me a status check. This usually involves a bewildered question, followed by an exclamation point. Something like, “You did what?” DUDE! If you haven’t guessed, the dude is the exclamation point. Then, being the unconditional support that she is, she often follows the exclamation point with a follow-up question, “Are you sure?”

Like when I wanted to cash my entire check and play craps, because I was sure we would win, like $50,000. Or when I asked her if we could let Boston drive, so we could sit in the back seat together and cuddle. And she was totally there for me when I tried to get up on stage at a Sugar Ray concert and sing back up.

As you can see, she has plenty of experience dealing with me. Which brings me to the exact conversation we had this morning when I told her I was going to write this entry. You see, I was standing in our salon getting manscaped. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from here.

I was in a unique position, having some type of Brazilian wax performed, when I thought, I sure hope my kids don’t walk in and see this. However, at that exact instant, as if prompted by fate, each of my children simultaneously walked into the room, only to say (and hide their eyes), “DAD, what are you doing?” Holly laughed and laughed; I feared moving, as that wax is hot, hot, hot, hot, hot.

But this is really nothing new. I am totally a Metrosexual. And Metrosexual’s manscape. In fact, men now outspend women on lotions and body gels, something that has continued to increase as this Metrosexual movement flourishes (kind of like Valentine’s Day. Everyone says we should buy something, so let’s buy something.).

I was a Metrosexual long before the term came into vogue. I have always been a Metrosexual. When I was in junior high, I would plan which outfits I would wear a week in advance, and coordinate those outfits on the days I would see specific girls in specific classes. Yes. Genius. I know.

Long before the phrase Metrosexual was termed, people used to call men who cared about appearance, style and sophistication - Renaissance Men. These were strong individuals who wore tuxedos to parties; suits to work and dress coats to the country club. James Bond type men who loved to entertain and made it look effortless.

Like these men of old, I love to entertain. I love to have people over to my house, take them to a restaurant or participate in an outstanding dinner party. I love to get ready for the event. Match my clothes to the mood of the evening. For me, the best part about entertaining, is watching Holly get ready. I love to sit and watch her apply numerous lotions, glitter and make-up. Then, I love to dress her. I love to pick out her outfits and match our clothes together.

But this adoration is always returned a hundred fold, as anyone who knows me, knows that the real Metrosexual is Holly. She is the one who styles my hair every morning, applies the self tanners and trims my ear hair. But her care and dedication toward my appearance enables me to mask myself as the leader of the Metrosexual pack. In fact, whenever she is out of town, I sit in our salon and wonder how I’m going to pull this all together. The answer, I can’t. But I’m learning and Holly is taking fewer vacations without me.

However, when you take away all the exterior concerns, I believe the true definition of a renaissance man (or Metrosexual) is a man who is centrally focused on bettering himself and those around him through an acute self awareness of him as a whole.

A true level of self awareness is key to success and, more importantly, change. Without it, we lack the fortitude to progress. And while a true sense of self awareness can be difficult for us all to grasp, especially when you are not always 100 percent perfect, it ensures that you have the tools to better yourself. It enables you to work on overcoming anything in your life that is less than flattering and should be changed.

And when we can truly look at our flaws, and love ourselves unconditionally, we succeed. More importantly, when those that love us most, and care about us most, see our flaws and help us overcome them, our life becomes more fulfilling. And having a more fulfilling life is the mantra of Metrosexuals everywhere.

2 comments:

Matt "The Bull" said...

um,,, I had a dude fit me for shoes once.

Kich Pwi Pwi said...

you sir, are such a sexy beast, it is hard for me not to come live with you.