Thursday, October 23, 2008

How do you feel about???

I love to comment on social norms. Pet peeves. Little things that would normally have little consequence in the world, but can be debated freely without the fear of offending your colleague or loved one.

I believe that this great desire to debate the inconsequential is a direct result from 10 years of watching episodes and reruns of Seinfeld. They were the kings of the inconsequential debate. And although they were debating unimportant elements, their passions were profound.

Which leads me to a new section on my blog that I have entitled, How Do You Feel About??? In this section, I will frequently pose a question and ask for your response, feedback and discussion. And while you may find these matters of little importance, its much more fun than determining why the GOP spent $150,000 outfitting Palin.

In regards to Palin, I believe it spent too little. She needs more Botox and some lip waxing and maybe a lift. Listen, put my money to good use, if we have to look at her, make her better looking. It is too late to save McCain’s appearance, but there is hope for Palin.

So, without further hesitations, let’s get to today’s question, which I took from the Yahoo! website:

We've all seen it before. The couples who can't stop kissing or cuddling each other while you're trying to eat peacefully or patiently waiting for your table. The ones who are so in love and/or inebriated that they lose sense of their surroundings and behave as though they think they're alone. What do you think of restaurant display of affection? Should we be able to enjoy a little restaurant smooch now and then or is it disrespectful and/or gross?

From my perspective, kissing on the lips is fine. Even appreciated. Kissing many times throughout dinner is wonderful. It is nice to be with your loved one and you should be happy and display that to her and to others around you. Even fondling a leg underneath the table is a great way to say I love you and completely appropriate.

Along with a little fondling of the leg, try running your hand up your loved one's back. This is an excellent display of affection, some would even say that it is a remarkable display of love and is warmly accepted by your date or spouse.

But once you kiss longer than one minute, you have crossed the line.

Now, with this being said, it does not mean that I am going to turn away and not watch this affection. I mean, it is impossible to turn away. But it should be taken into consideration that this is not kosher.

In fact, there is a pretty good chance that I am going to take out my cell phone and take a picture. It is in my blood. I have to look. I don't want to; I have to. I am not proud of it, it is just a fact of nature.

It is no different then when I went to the Dueling Pianos at the New York, New York (I KNOW, we go there a lot) and a woman broke her foot from jumping in the air to her favorite Van Halen song (try to guess which one).

How could I know it was broken? How was I so sure? Ah, well, the bone was sticking out of her ankle. Clean out. Holly kept telling me to turn away, but it was impossible. I was drawn to it. I had to look. I had to stare. It took everything I had not to take a picture with my phone. Seeing my vulnerability and sensing her impending embarrassment, Holly actually took my phone away from me and put it in her purse. So, you see, it is in my blood. I have to look.

And although I don't condone it at all times, public affection has its place and is appreciated. For example, I recently gave Holly two large hickeys on her neck. Somehow, she did not see these, or feel these, until she went to yoga the next day for the entire world to witness.

And while she complained, I argued that a woman celebrating her 14th wedding anniversary should wear these hickeys as she would wear a badge of honor. They say to the world that this person is loved, cherished and HOT!

Even though I lost this argument, I felt that my point had been made. And while these hickeys where not given in public, they were displayed in public, which solidified that affection had taken place.

So let's hear from you. Yes, you. You now have to comment. Yes, you know who I’m talking to. Yeah, you, the one who is reading this online. Go comment. How do you feel about PDA?

5 comments:

Kich Pwi Pwi said...

Matt,I used to have to beg for any type of PDA. You would barely hold my hand in public. I know Heather would be shocked to hear that because poor Andy almost lost his wife-to-be because somehow your rules of no PDA were MUCH looser in front of your family. Heather if you only would have realized that you witnessing such behavior really just meant that you were completely excepted as family, you could have been flattered instead of horrified.
I am completely grateful that Matt has become more comfortable with a little appropriate PDA, cause I like it!

Precept said...

oh, and if you only knew how many times we use your boob groping when we try to explain Andy's family to our friends :) You are famous!!! Now I know I am opposite on teh PDA. I like basic PDA but I'm not into much in front of kids or pools. Of course, should I die early, I always tell Andy to feel free to improve in this department! He, like the free naked dancing, shirt mooning Missy, and all the other Brimhalls love their PDA. As for Hickeys? Well, Andy couldn't give one if his life depended on it. Somehow he missed that lesson from his brothers. :) HEather

The Meier family said...

Boob grabbing, eh? I am pretty sure I know that story, too! My deal with pda is rather strange and distorted! While it does rather gross me out to look over and watch two people going at it while I am trying to enjoy the one decent meal and conversation I get with my husband on the once a month date we get without our kids, it bothers me even more to see two people in a truck with a bench seat, and there are only two of them, boy and girl, and she is practically sitting on his lap! Get a room why don't you! Gross! There is a whole bench for you to be sitting on! Scoot over!

I do know what you mean about staring and things that you just shouldn't. It is totally like a train wreck - how could you possibly not watch, even though it will never leave your mind! The image of two people going at it in a nice restaurant will be haunting your memories forever! On second thought, maybe it is just a Las Vegas thing - what types of places did you say you frequent again??? ;)

Mrs. O said...

When you can see tongues and hear a little moaning...it's too much. Wait, was that too much?

The Sadler Crew said...

WOW, Matt and Holly. Vegas has changed you. I SO hope you are joking about the hickeys....