Monday, October 6, 2008

Who knew kids took this much time...

How much is too much? Does anyone have an answer for this question? It seems impossible to fully comprehend. Can you be too rich? Too thin? Too cute? Too smart? No, no, no and of course not. But I have found out that you can be too busy.

As school started this year, each one of our kids started a sport. Soccer, softball and soccer, respectively. It may sound like I mistakenly listed soccer twice, until you realize I have five kids two of whom play soccer in different sections of the city.

Even better, each of these aspiring athletes have two practices a week and then a game on Sat. Oh, and Boston has two games on Saturday and sometimes he has a game on Friday night, which is awesome and makes me totally love his coach and everyone in his league.

Then, to further fragment ourselves, we decided to “encourage” Boston to start playing an instrument. He picked the Baritone Sax, which is huge by the way and somewhat awkward to carry around, unless you’re the Hulk, but I don’t remember him having a lot of patience in the musical area.

He, Boston, not the Hulk (I really don't know what the Hulk is doing now), is currently learning to play the score from Star Wars, which accompanies Darth Vader’s entrance onto the screen. I’ve asked him to follow me around and begin playing this tune whenever I walk into our home or an important business meeting to psyche out my other children or business partners. It’s been VERY effective.

But with Boston picking up an extra talent, we decided it was important to “encourage” Brooklyn and London to participate in a cheerleading camp, which went every night for a week and included a, you guessed it, game on Friday night. Brilliant.

Throw in scouts, campouts (YES! I can camp.) and church activities and the week starts to become a non-stop, caffeinated sprint from one activity to another.

But we can’t be the only ones, right?

Who else is pulling out their hair as they drive from practice to practice?

Anyone?

Bueller. Bueller.

This entry is dedicated to Matt Smith, my brother-in-law, who said my posts where too long to read, when he visited my house…I think its more about his attention span, but I digress.

PS – "Digress" means to turn aside especially from the main subject, Matt. Just in case you were wondering…

PSS – “Encourage” means I had no shot in heaven or you know where, in changing the outcome, so I simply relented.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hey - I don't think your posts are too long - I love them. When I found your blog a couple weeks ago I got so hooked I read the entire thing - every post, start to finish. It took a few hours. But I was laughing the whole time and realized how much we miss you guys - you crack me up! We are crazy busy too with the kids. My dad looked at my calendar and laughed - and that is with me off of work on maternity leave. Craziness!

Jen said...

PS - Vacation together sounds GREAT - we should plan it.

Annalyn said...

When my friend got married, he had the Imperial March played as he walked down the isle. HA! I like your idea of using it for entry music. Brilliant!

A Meyer said...

Pimp in the Box (yes, you should be on Jim Rome is Burning on ESPN at 2pm MST)...

Your posts are not too long. You know me, I dig on the action that a dude can post a blog and make it phresh (yes, that's right, phresh with a ph.)

I know what you mean...my wife shattered her humerus. Humerus...not funny. Dumb Latin words. Anyway, she is out of commish and if it wasn't for the neighbors during the day who helped out and allowed me to peddle drugs; well, I'd be screwed.

But then I get home and deal with them...my new job. I better get them to bed!

Thanks for squeezing me into all those texts and hitting up two new postsin one day.

scottandangelle@gmail.com said...

Busy yes, but these days are some of the best of family life! Enjoy!!! And...keep writing about it! Thanks for sharing.